Physical activity is essential for your overall health. Unfortunately, sports and exercise always come with the risk of injury. The upsides to being active outweigh that risk, especially when you can turn to Canyon Oaks Foot & Ankle for sports injury treatment in the Central Valley.
What causes sports injuries?
Sports injuries in the foot and ankle can occur when the soft tissue of the body is unable to stabilize bony segments, like joints, during exercise. Poor technique, fatigue, muscle imbalances and overuse all contribute to the more common types of sports injuries. Additional factors include the exercise shoes you are wearing and the surfaces you are training on.
What are the most common forms of sports injuries?
Treatment and Prevention
Most sports injury treatment involves conservative, nonsurgical methods. In many cases, your body simply needs time to recover and undergo its natural healing processes. Ice, compression, and elevation are all tools to alleviate pain and swelling. We will advise you on proper procedures to start a successful healing process.
When home care isn’t enough, our office is here to help you. Depending on the nature of your injury, we may use custom orthotics, casts, braces, or physical therapy to restore your health. In rare cases, surgery may be necessary, but we will make sure you understand your options and feel comfortable making an informed decision.
The good news about sports injuries is that many are preventable, and preventative techniques are not particularly difficult:
- Check with your foot specialist to see what levels of physical activity are right for you before you begin exercising or participating in sports
- Make sure that you have the appropriate footwear for the activity you are involved in
- Always stretch and warm up prior to physical activity
- Do not push yourself too soon – progress takes time and pushing yourself too far, too fast, can increase the likelihood of injury
- If something starts to feel funny, ease up immediately
Get Help Now
Please complete the form below and we will be in touch with you within 1 business day.